Follow me on Dribbble


Redesign and Integration is the online source reference for pallets upcyclers around the world. If you've ever thought about making your own furniture with recycled wood but you don't really know where to start, 1001pallets is what you need.

During my one month internship hosted at Ekito, I've worked on redesigning the core pages and improving user experience on the platform.

With more than 4,400 pallet ideas, the search experience was a central point.

My first thought has been focus on the search experience. Preceded by a bunch of not really legible texts and icons, the old search bar was too complex and badly located, right under the fold line. I unfortunatelly thought it was hard to use and almost invisible to the user. So I decided to run some quick usability tests with friendly volunteers to confirm my theory. The collected qualitative feedbacks talked. Almost everyone were unanimous: The main idea was hard to catch and the search bar was not user friendly. My research also helped me to understand that not everyone needed an advanced search. Some of the volunteers even told me that they felt forced to use the search filters instead of just writting a word like "Table", "Bed", or any other furniture name to find pallets ideas as quick as possible.

To fix this we decided to use a video background and a more identity typeface to improve the way users would understand the concept of 1001pallets and the woodworking universe to which it belongs. We also needed to reduce the cognitive load which confused user mind and avoided the homepage to be scanned fast, we also decided to divide the amount of text by two, and to repeat this process until we've found the right message, without any loss of the concept understanding. Hiding the advanced search filters behind a link located underneath the simplified and scaled up new search bar helped us to get a clean and structured view without forgetting those who really needed to get acurate search results.

We took a fresh UI approach to try to better connect user to the website, by better response with interactions.

Working on users experience was also being part of our quest for traffic optimization. One of the challenges was to reduce the bounce rate (44%) which wasn't so bad at the time. Less than one user was leaving the website before visiting a new page. The bounce rate was in the lower bracket of the average market bounce rate (User Generated Content sector) which was being between 40% and 60%, but we knew we were able to do better if people felt comfortable, delighted by micro interactions, and at the right place for their DIY project.

The share feature has been rethought to be more playful and to increase share engagement, and the search results display now appear in a "pinterest-like" which allow keeping rhythm during the website discovery.


  • Company
  • Date
    Early 2017
  • Duration
    1 month


  • Graphic redesign
  • UX improvements
  • Web integration
  • Technical Audit
  • Benchmarking


  • UX UI Designer
  • Web Developper